Thursday, April 24, 2008

Solstice This!

In the Northwestern Hemisphere, the earth begins to tilt closer and closer to the sun as the days go by until we reach what is called the Summer Solstice. This would-be-considered law of nature is set to occur on September 22. However, it has become apparent to me that Idaho sets out to defy the laws of the universe; changing the weather on a whim with blatant disregard to its begrudged residents.

Today, my friends, is April 24. According to all known laws, we should be experiencing an increase of temperature day by day. Instead, we experienced a blizzard between the hours of 12:00 and 2:00. The once spring-exposed trees now quiver under the weight of the newly fallen powder. Clumps of unwelcomed snow slip off tired branches and fall on unsuspecting passer-bys. The ground, once dotted with spots of green grass, now is covered by a smothering bag of undesirable snowflakes. That's right...I just said snowflakes are undesirable. Each unique little crystallized water particle comes together to create one uniform punch line of some cruel joke of nature. Not funny.

Upon observing this odd-weathered spring day, I've resigned to move to Australia. The outback seems nice and warm and it is so completely in the opposite hemisphere that I expect confusion and when the laws of nature fail to apply themselves there, I will at least think it normal.

15 comments:

Andrea said...

I loved this post! Exactly what I was thinking about snow in April! Except I could never have worded it so well...

Cheyenne said...

And yet, in what is perhaps considered the most backward part of the country, the laws of nature are proving their worth and logic. This week we start cleaning the neighborhood pool in anticipation of the sultry summer days awaiting the next sunrise. Ah! Warmth! Not that this will be a new thing, we're pretty much warm all year round...

~Wyatt~Brittney~Brecken~Oliver~ said...

Can we come with you? I hate the weather here!

Desiree said...

There are crazy poisonous spiders down under! Not to metion you'll probably get kicked in the face by some rouge kangaroo :) It was in the 70's here yesterday & now it's in the 40's. Nebraksa & Idaho must be plotting against us! Planning our ultimate demise!! We must stop them! Tally Hoe! Austrailia or bust!

Sarah said...

my goodness. what is idaho & utah thinking? going against the rules of nature!

Steffani said...

Wow, you're a great writer. Maybe you should have majored in writing:) Is there such a major?

Seth said...

Hello! We just got into the blogging scene too. It's so great to see you guys! Great pictures! What a great day that was, congrats on all the graduating! We've missed you and the whole ward family! Good luck with the next step in life, can't wait to hear where it takes you.
-Rachel

Tiffany Rose Photography said...

Savanna! I would love, love, love to take your pictures! I need all the practice I can get!

Tawna said...

You write so well!!! I couldn't have worded it like that at all. Utah is experiencing the same kind of crazy weather...when will summer be here?

Ashley Wray said...

Hey Lakes! It's the Wray's! Congrats on graduating! We are excited to see where you'll be headed! Loved the grad pics! I (Ashley) graduated in Communications and loved Bro. Cannon and Sis. Bergstrom soooo much! Anyways, check out our blog and we'll keep peeking in on yours!

Megs said...

We're so excited for you both, congratulations on graduating!! We are secretly hoping your future home is Rexburg, ID so you can stay and play with us!! Jocey was sad you couldn't be at the recital, you'll have to come over for dinner soon!!

adorable pearsons said...

Hey- It's the Pearsons! I heard a rumor you started a blog and was so glad I tracked you down! Congrats on the big graduation! That is so exciting! Oh the lovely Rexburg weather, can't really say that I miss that too much; especially when we bask in California sunshine all day. However, Christmas was so sad without snow. So glad you are all doing well. Keep the posts coming!

Swensen Family said...

Hey I was blog surfing and I ran into yours. I bet you are both so excited to have graduated. What are you up to now? We are excited to keep in touch with you!

Desiree said...

Speaking of.....it was 80 degrees yesterday & we're supposed to get snow tomorrow! ARG! Check out my new post. There's a criminal on the loose that you should know about. I'd hate for you to get caught in the cross fire :)

Linford Family said...

We also are blog-surfers now and then and came across your awesome blog. Montana and Idaho seem to be on the same page with the weather thing-annoying! Congrats on graduating! What's your plans now?